Service of Thanksgiving at St. Patricks, Glenarm

Wednesday November 1st 2006

Connor Diocese :: News :: Pictured following the Service of Thanksgiving for the Restoration of St Patrick’s Church, Glenarm, Parish of Tickmacrevan are Alastair Coey (architect), Bishop Alan Harper, the Rev Moreen Hutchinson (Bishop’s Curate), Archdeacon Stephen Forde, Jim Patton (electrical consultant) and Chris McCollum (Alastair Coey architects) There was time to reflect on the past and look forward to the future at a special Service of Thanksgiving for the restoration of St Patrick’s Church, Glenarm, in the Parish of Tickmacrevan on Sunday October 8.

The church is the most recent in a long line of churches in Glenarm dedicated to St Patrick. Building began in 1763, and the church was consecrated in 1769.

It was the first Strawberry Hill Gothic church to be built in Ireland and still retains some of its original features – the sanctuary chairs, the windows in the tower, and the alcove with its Ogee Gothic head into which the organ sits was originally a window frame.

Changes have been made over the years and the church has always been maintained, but time and damp had caused damage which required considerable funding to repair.

Thanks to much hard work, the support of parishioners, friends and neighbours from other churches and the generosity of funders, most of the problems have been resolved.

As part of the project the roof was repaired, drains were reinstated, walls damp proofed and the electrical system was completely renewed and a new heating system installed.

The Service of Thanksgiving was attended by the Bishop of Connor, the Rt Rev Alan Harper, who also dedicated a brass cross in memory of the later Canon RB Bannon, and two stained glass windows. These are located in the transept and the vestry, and both make use of glass conserved from the redundant parochial hall.

Back to latest news

Site Directory