A broadcast this evening (April 30) on TG4 will help celebrate the centenary of the Irish Guild of the Church – Cumann Gaelach na hEaglaise.
The broadcast has been organised in conjunction with a commemoration service held on April 29 in St Ann’s Church, Dawson Street, Dublin, to mark the centenary.
The broadcast on TG4 at 7pm includes footage of the Guild’s earliest minute books and related materials kept safe at the RCB Library where they are accessioned as MS 131.
In 1914, in the context of rapidly–changing political and cultural life in Ireland, the Irish Guild of the Church of Ireland was founded for interested members of the Church of Ireland ‘to promote the objects of the Irish Revival amongst Irish Churchpeople.’
The inaugural meeting of the Guild was held in St Ann’s parish room at the Diocesan School, Molesworth Street, Dublin, on 29th April 1914, an event recorded in the earliest minute book.
On camera this evening, Dáithí Ó Maolchoille, who is currently Treasurer of the Guild, will talk about the content of the materials available to the public at the RCB Library to news reporter Eibhlín Ní Choistealbha.
Further background about the archival collection in the RCB Library and a related story about the work of Douglas Hyde (who was a member of the Guild) on a ‘modern Irish’ translation of St Patrick’s Breastplate is available online at this permanent link: http://ireland.anglican.org/about/139.