The Church Lads’ and Church Girls’ Brigade has mounted an exhibition to mark 125 years since it was founded.
The exhibition is now open in Armagh County Museum, and will run through March and April, with a possible extension until mid-June.
The Church Lads’ and Church Girls’ Brigade was founded on St Martin’s Day, November 11 1891. The exhibition will appeal to all those ex members who remember the square bashing, marching in bands, going to camps, taking part in sporting competitions and receiving badges on display night. It should also appeal to those who are interested in the history of youth organisations.
The focus is on the history of the Brigade in Ireland from its earliest days in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Drogheda, Belfast, Derry, Ballymena, Portrush and Lisburn, right up to the present time. As the display is in the City of Armagh, a small part of the exhibition deals with Armagh Companies.
There are many photographs on show, some from the 1890s. They have been professionally mounted on photographic board, along with much interesting information telling of the Brigade’s development.
Also on display are many items of memorabilia including attendance medals, sporting medals, commemorative medals, cap badges, lapel badges, proficiency badges, band instruments, a CLB sword, drill manuals, company colours, old trophies and a selection of uniforms.
Admission is free. Armagh County Museum is located in the Mall East and is open daily from 10am to 5pm. It is also open on Saturdays for the same times, except that it closes for lunch.